This Chocolate Chip Chia Banana Muffins is one of my favourite muffin recipes.!I keep a stock in the freezer for easy snacks for my kids and to throw into school lunches.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1.5 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup butter or non-hydrogenated margarine
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup (2-3 bananas) ripe mashed bananas
6 Tbsp ground chia seeds OR ground flax
1 cup water
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare two small 12 cup muffin trays.
2) In a small bowl, mix together the chia seeds and water, to let the chia soak. If you're using flax, you can skip this step.
3) In a large bowl, mix together the two flours, salt and baking soda. Stir in chocolate chips.
4) Cream together butter and sugar with an electric mixer in a separate bowl.
5) Beat in eggs one at a time.
6) Add mashed bananas and vanilla to the moist mixture.
6) Add the chia (or flax) to the mixture and blend with a mixer.
8) Add the moist mixture to the dry mixture all at once. Stir until batter is moist but still lumpy.
9) Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full of batter.
10) Bake for 25 minutes.