You may be terrified of feeding your baby finger foods: “Won’t my baby choke if I feed him “real” food?”
Yet many proponents of Babyled Weaning (BLW) believe babies are actually at less risk of choking if they feed themselves rather than being spoon-fed by a parent. This is because the baby is in full control.
In fact a new study "A Baby-led to Eating Solids & Risk of Choking" found that Babyled Weaners do not choke more often than babies who start solids with purees.
Another benefit of BLW and introducing full foods sooner, is that the gag reflex is further forward in the mouth and it moves back as baby ages. So the gag reflex effectively keeps larger food pieces near the front of the mouth, only allowing very well-chewed foods to the back to be swallowed.
Yet choking is a risk, no matter how you start solids. The #1 food Babyled Weaning babes choke on is full apples. Choking occurs when the air tube is blocked. If your baby bites off a perfectly air-tube shaped piece of hard food, or you offer them this size of food, it is possible they will choke. In which case they cannot get in any oxygen. They will not make any gagging or noises and will turn blue. This is why it’s important to always watch your baby while they eat, and take an infant CPR class.
Well it’s possible for your baby to choke on food (or toys/coins/may other objects!), there is a lot you can do to prevent choking.
Want to know more about practicing Babyled Weaning? Register here for my free webinar "How to Get Started with Babyled Weaning"