Moms are pressured to breastfeed, but set-up to fail. If you wanted to breastfeeding but were not able, know that it’s NOT your fault! A lack of support and rampant ‘booby traps’ can make breastfeeding challenging. What are “booby traps?” Any of these, and so much more:
- Stigma against breastfeeding in public.
- Your mom didn’t breastfeed you, so thinks it’s strange and has no advice beyond “just formula feed.”
- Free formula samples given to pregnant moms.
- Breastfeeding education wasn’t a part of your prenatal class.
- The hospital you plan to birth at has a high rate of interventions and cesareans, which can make early breastfeeding more difficult.
- The doctor offers you formula samples, and measures your baby with Similac-branded measuring tapes.
- Your hospital has a contract with one formula company. In exchange for using their formula (more often than necessary), they get it all for free.
- Dad wants to feed the baby with a...